Sunday, January 29, 2017

So, what are you eating?

That's what most people ask when they realize I've lost weight. Having tried so many times to lose with no success, it would be my question, too.

I read the book 20/20- Lifestyles; Metabolic Cure by Mark Dedomenico. Dr. Dedomenico works at a local gym, offering the book along with a full program of exercise, nutrional support, and counseling. I just read the book. I ordered it from my all-time favorite used book shop, www.betterworldbooks.org. I actually scoffed at the plan at first. A friend was trying it and I thought it looked like just another route to the usual diet catch-22. Starve myself, lose no weight, then gain some more once I eat heartily. No thanks.

But then she lost two clothing sizes and I thought I'd better read the book all the way through.

The book suggests following several stages in your eating. I was already eating a very low carb diet, so I chose to begin at the stage just below what I was accustomed to.

For breakfast, I have a protein smoothie, made with plain Jarrow whey protein (from Amazon), frozen bananas, other fruits or flavors, and skim milk. The program recommends using berries only, which is what I did at the outset. For variety, I have tried frozen mangoes (especially good with raspberries, which tend to have the worst seeds) as well as a tropical fruit medley my grocery store offers. I've tried the chocolate flavor, which is especially good with decaffeinated coffee ice cubes and low-fat cottage cheese. I occasionally make a vanilla smoothie with vanilla-flavored powder I found locally. I use an extra half-banana and plain ice in that one.

Lunch is almost always a mixed-greens salad with homemade dressing (balsamic vinegar, evoo, garlic, and a smidge of honey and mustard which helps it emulsify). I add 4 to 6 ounces of very lean protein--usually steak tenderloin--and a few other veggies, such as grape tomatoes, cucumber chunks, chopped peppers, olives, and so on. Dessert is a cup of fresh raspberries.

Most dinners consist of a grilled meat and steamed vegetable. Occasionally I'll make a recipe like Beef Stroganoff without the usual noodles. If I choose a dish that involves more than simply grilling some meat, I try to choose low-fat ingredients, but for the most part I strive for portion control. No more than 6 ounces of very lean protein, lots of vegetables.

And I always have about an ounce of dark chocolate afterwards.

About once a week, when I'm either really hungry or low on supplies, I'll eat some cheese (Beecher's Flagship) and water crackers, which satisfies that need for crunch and cream that is so missing in the world of dieting. Another snack I enjoy from time to time is a Honeycrisp apple with a tablespoon or two of chunky Adams peanut butter.

And of course, I occasionally fall off the wagon. Yesterday we were invited to lunch with Dave's parents. I happily enjoyed a bowl of cream of potato soup and half of a ham sandwich and half of a turkey sandwich. I didn't turn down the delicious dessert. I find I can do that now and then with no consequences. But I suppose doing it daily would be a problem, especially with the dessert.

The other big change to my diet is that I can drink an adult beverage from time to time. Ten years ago I was sure I'd tasted alcohol for the last time. Today I can drink a glass of wine with dinner or have a cocktail (gin and vodka still the safest) with friends. I think the meds make it possible, and that the mouth-guard also makes a difference. I still try to have as much water as alcohol shortly afterwards.



No comments: